Upper Saint Clair Volunteer Fire Department

UPPER ST. CLAIR VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT STATION 284
EMERGENCY: 412-833-7500 | 911
2001 Washington Rd. | Upper St. Clair, PA 15241
Non-emergency: 412-835-0660

Home Electrical Fire Prevention

During a typical year, home electrical problems account for 45,000 fires, over 400 deaths, and $610 million in property losses. Home electrical wiring causes twice as many fires as electrical appliances.

Safety Precautions:

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Frayed wired can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
  • Use electrical extension cords wisely and do not overload them.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
  • When buying electrical appliances look for products which meet the Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) standard for safety.
  • Do not allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons and hair dryers.
  • Keep clothes, curtains and other potentially combustible ideas at least 3 feet away from all heaters.
  • If an appliance has a 3-prong plug, use it only in a 3-slot outlet. Never force in to fit into a 2-slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Never overload extension cords or wall sockets. Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the tough and lights that flicker.
  • Use safety closures to “child proof” electrical outlets.
  • Check your electrical tools regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace them. Replace any tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.